There are different ways in which the final outcomes associated with a project are phased out.
- Project Extinction-project activity suddenly stops, either successfully completed or high expectation for failure
- Termination-By-Addition- project output becomes a new formal part of organization
- Termination-By-Integration- project output becomes standard part of operating systems
- Termination-By-Starvation-project exists in name only- click here to see an example of this type termination
Assignment: Identity specific examples of business projects that fall into each of the above categories.
The Termination Process
- Decision made by broad based committee of senior managers
- Termination process should be specified in project plan
- Termination manager should be appointed to manage the process
In managing the termination process a work breakdown will be useful in helping to understand the various activities that will need to be managed. An example of such a WBS is attached here termination-wbs