The matrix structure is a hybrid between the functional and pure project structures. Click below to see a diagram.
The diagram shows that each project draws different amount of resources from the various functional units within the organization. Here are the advantages and disadvantages.
- flexibility in a way it can interface with parent organization
- strong focus on the project itself
- contact with functional groups minimizes project as is
- ability to manage fundamental trade-offs across several projects
- violation of the Unity of Command principle – team members might report to more than one person
- complexity of managing full set of projects
- conflict occurs between normal functional tasks and project tasks